That Freshman Feeling

Comments Off on That Freshman Feeling
Song Xiong
Song Xiong
This photo was taken the summer before my freshman year.

As I begin my (super-duper) senior year, I can’t help but think about all the freshmen and their first day on campus. What if I get lost? Will I be accepted? What if I don’t know the answer? The truth is, we never really escape freshman year. Every new situation we’re placed into, whether it’s a school, internship or job, feels like being a freshman again.

Even as a (super-duper) senior, I felt like a freshman this summer as an intern at the Aurora Walker’s Point Community Clinic in Milwaukee. I was working amongst professionals and medical students to write a grant proposal, a task I had no experience in. The clinic was located in the heart of the Hispanic community, a population I had no experience working with. I was a nervous wreck! Regardless, I found my way, made friends and got respect, and learned some of the answers.

The truth is that even in a place as comforting as UW-Stevens Point, I still get lost, I’m still not sure who accepts me, and I still don’t know all the answers. Like middle school, high school and college, new situations teach us how to grow and become better, smarter people. It doesn’t matter if you’re a freshman, sophomore, junior or senior, there will always be situations that make you feel like a freshman.

-Song

Song Xiong is a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point majoring in dietetics and communication.