Taking Care of Business

Comments Off on Taking Care of Business
First Day, Freshman Year

It’s that time of year again. Welcome back to school! Just as we do when we sit down next to a new face in a new classroom at the beginning of each semester, I would like to introduce myself to you.

My name is Brittany Melby and I am a business administration and interior architecture double major with a concentration in marketing. This fall I have begun my fifth and final (yes final) year here at UW-Stevens Point which does make me a super senior. (For those of you who aren’t familiar with it, this is not a term of endearment … it just means it is time for you to be done with school.)

I grew up on my family’s dairy farm near Montfort, Wis., with a loving, supportive, and sometimes crazy family (my parents, one older brother, and two younger sisters). I am driven to excel with a hard-working personality that I can only hope will take me far in life. I am currently the president of the church I attend, Peace Lutheran Campus Center (and welcome any of you to attend), through which I have completed mission trips to various countries including Panama, Turkey and Africa. If you couldn’t tell, I love to travel.

My Last First Day of College.

I am employed as a student research assistant for the Central Wisconsin Economic Research Bureau under the direction of Prof. Randy Cray here on campus, I am a marketing intern in the College of Professional Studies, and also a tour guide here on campus (while this does not mean I know everything about our school, I do know there are exactly 286,200 tiles that make up the mural on the Trainer Natural Resources Building).

As I begin my final fall semester here, I realize how quickly the time has passed. Was it really just four years ago that I began school here and moved into Burroughs Hall? While I ponder this thought, I realize that the most memorable times I had in college are not the long nights spent in my room studying, but instead the times I spent with the people I truly care about. I am not telling you to stop doing your homework, but to instead refrain from getting completely lost in your endless amounts of readings for your economics, biology or Spanish classes. Remember that sometimes the most important life lessons you learn are not from books, but from your life experiences.

And as my friends know, I love to make people smile, so I hope this last note leaves you smiling!

Dear face wash commercials: Nobody actually splashes their face with water like that.

Sincerely,

My bathroom is sopping wet now.

-Brittany

Brittany Melby is a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point majoring in business administration and interior architecture.