Professional summer

Comments Off on Professional summer
courtneyNYC
Picture of NYC I like to keep this on my desk as inspiration of where I want to be in a few years! Big city dreaming!

While summer brings upon great weather, tan lines, and travel itineraries, it also brings on a work schedule. I’d say that’s bittersweet. While it’s nice to get experience in the field your interested it and make some $$$, it also takes away your sunshine time. My goal is to manage my schedule in a way that both maximizes my sunshine time and my work time. I do a lot of travel on the weekend during summer, and attend lots of local concerts and festivities at night during the week, all while simultaneously working a full workweek and staying on top of my game!

This summer’s looking to be exciting, too! I’m diving into the world of multiple jobs. My workweek will be split between a chemical company and an active lifestyle branding firm. In my off hours, I will continue to do contract marketing for a local firm, blog, and send out tweets for @UWPowersMe in July. Here’s a look at the companies and what I’ll be doing!

First Source Worldwide, LLC – Neenah, Wis.

I began working here last summer, continued over winter break, and will be returning after Labor Day. This company is really dynamic. They specialize in manufacturing and distributing chemicals in the US, Canada, and Mexico. It is headquartered in Neenah, Wis., and has lab and warehouse facilities across the US and in Mexico. This is a great fit for me because I’m able to utilize my Spanish language skills! An unexpected benefit! In the past, I worked with website development and marketing. Working with the marketing director and international coworkers, I redesigned a new English and Spanish website and put it live at the end of my term. I used so many skills that I had acquired at UW-Stevens Point in both the art department and in the College of Professional Studies (CPS) that allowed me to stay knowledgeable and solve problems that arose throughout the project.

This summer I’ll continue their marketing efforts. I’ll also be doing more work in their warehouse and lab facility in Milwaukee, Wis. I wanted to see more of the production side of the business, since most of my experience has been in-office with marketing or sales. My employer was eager to introduce me to this side of the business, so I’m excited to see what’s there to explore. Having Bus 360 and Bus 370 encouraged me to see the concepts I learned in class in a real-world situation, it sparked my curiosity to inquire further into this company I was already working for. I was pleased when my employer said he’d expose me to this area of the business … it’ll be a very educational few months here!

Motto Inc. – Appleton, Wis.

The end of my week will be spent in a hip, branding company. Motto started out selling skateboard deck tape and has expanded to branding the essentials needed to participate in extreme sports. My position will be to help expand its product line on its website, publish industry-related articles, and develop social media platforms. This will be a fun work environment since it’s a young company. There’s room for growth in its brand development and identity that I will be able to contribute to. With my love for endurance sports, this company really fits my interests outside of the office. I think that will help me as I market its products since I have experience using some of them myself!

aMark Marketing Services

I started working for aMark a few months ago remotely here at school. Its offices are located in Greenville, Wis., but I got a special opportunity to do contracted marketing as an intern. It’s been great! Not only is it cool to be outside of an office, but I also get to develop strong time and self management skills. I will be continuing at aMark over the summer doing editing, brand development, sales development, and social media. aMark is a ‘boutique’-style marketing firm that takes on marketing projects for businesses. It’s a fun place to work for because you get to see a lot of different approaches, end goals, designs, and preferences since you work for multiple companies in multiple industries. So not only do you grow in the marketing field, but you also get exposed to some of the happenings in other industries!

…and of course, I’ll continue blogging over the summer! Watch for posts about my travels, these jobs, and whatever other crazy opportunity comes my way! It’s going to be a fun ride yet again! Also, be sure to watch for my tweets on @UWPowersMe July 1-8! If you’re not following them, you should be!

See you in the sunshine!
-Courtney

Courtney Cerniglia is a junior at the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point majoring in business administration and Spanish.