Fun in Stevens Point

Comments Off on Fun in Stevens Point
alexia201402b
With my friends Megan and Liz at the Brewhaus.

Hola chicos!

Hope everyone is having day, I know I was quiet happy when it started to warm up. It’s nice to be able to walk from classes and home without feeling like you are about to get frostbite. I am definitely looking forward to spring weather and being able to open up windows and start biking around again. Even though it’s been some tough weather I have been able to get out and really enjoy Stevens Point.

I know I often talk about how much I like Stevens Point for the campus, but really there is so much more in this city than just the university. Growing up in Madison I was spoiled with so many events and activities going on constantly, and I was worried before I came to school here that I would be bored with the city. However, that is defiantly not the case and in fact I love that I live in this city.

For example, I love all the live music that is almost constantly going on. The Encore in the Dreyfus University Center (DUC) seems to have live music shows at least once a week. I think it’s awesome to get out and dance and relax with friends while listening to some great, local music. Even if there isn’t a show on campus there are various other locations around the area that have shows. This last weekend I went to go see Horseshoes & Hand Grenades, a very popular and amazing local band, at a banquet hall and I had a blast.

Besides just live music on campus there is also a free movie in the DUC almost every week. I know I can’t wait for Catching Fire to play there next week!

The DUC is also great for The Basement Brewhaus in the basement which serves coffee drinks, beer and bagels. I love that every Thursday their coffee, select bottles and bagels are only $1. It’s like a little treat for making it through the week and it’s a great place to hang out with friends and even to meet knew people that you go to school with.

alexia201402c
My sister and I walking into the DUC during a snowfall.

Outdoor activities are really important for most people in Stevens Point, including me. I can’t wait to go to Iverson Park and check out the toboggan run they have set up. I hear it’s a blast and now that it’s warmed up a bit I don’t mind playing in the snow. My roommate and I shoveling the driveway often turns into a snowball fight of some sort.

With spring right around the corner I have my mind set on even more outdoor activities. The Green Circle hiking trail will be able to bike on again, the farmers market will be back in the square downtown, and I’ll be able to take care of my plants outside.

So don’t get down about this snow and cold, just remember it’s just a season and will soon change. I hope everyone can try and enjoy this (hopefully) last bit of winter weather before it warms up!

Hasta Luego,
Alexia

Alexia Szabo is a senior majoring in economics, Spanish and international studies at UW-Stevens Point.