My 2014 Costa Rica Adventure

Posted by Roark, Trevor - February 22, 2015 - Costa Rica, Featured, Tours

Green Ibis, Sarapiqui River, Costa Rica - photo by Brad Zinda

Green Ibis, Sarapiqui River, Costa Rica – photo by Brad Zinda

In January 2014, I was given the opportunity and privilege to go to a place that I’ve always dreamed of going to. As part of my late 18th birthday and early high school graduation present, my mom Deb Zinda got an idea from a friend to take me anywhere I wanted as a gift. So, of course I chose to go to Costa Rica. When I saw an advertisement in a newsletter about a trip to Costa Rica through UWSP Adventure Tours and all the fun activities that were included in the trip, I knew that it would be perfect for both my mom and me.

Sunbittern - photo by Brad Zinda

Sunbittern – photo by Brad Zinda

There are two things that I love doing in life; traveling and birding. There is no better place to go than Costa Rica to suit those two passions of mine. Both my mom (a non-birder) and I had the time of our lives while down there! Our trip leaders Dennis and Marcia Yockers were excellent and our in-country guide Lloyd Martinez was the best.

We were able to travel to both the Caribbean and Pacific coast. Our first stay was at the Mawamba Lodge in Tortuguero, which is along the Caribbean Sea. To get to the lodge, we had to travel through canals and rivers by boat, which offered some spectacular views of many birds, plants and monkeys. On the bus ride to get to the canals we were privileged to come upon a two-toed sloth in a tree along the road as well. Some highlight birds that I saw on the property of the lodge included a pair of Slaty-tailed Trogons, both Keel-billed and Chestnut-mandibled Toucans, Collared Aracari and lots of Montezuma Oropendolas.

Kayaking the Sarapiqui River - photo by Brad Zinda

Kayaking the Sarapiqui River – photo by Brad Zinda

Our second destination was to the Selva Verde Lodge in Heredia. This place was one of my favorites. The lodges are on wooden stilts and the property is extremely beautiful. The Sarapiquí River runs through the property as well and while staying here, we got to kayak down a calmer part of the Sarapiquí River. It was on this raft trip that I was able to see some of my favorite birds for the entire trip. I had amazing looks at a Sunbittern, a photogenic Green Ibis, and our only glimpse of a pair of Great Green Macaws flying overhead. Other activities that we got to do while here included a bat program at the Tirimbina Biological Reserve, where we learned about the importance of bats and saw some cool bats native to Costa Rica. We also got to tour a pineapple plantation which was very fun because pineapple is my all-time favorite. On our way to our third destination we also stopped at a coffee plantation and witnessed how coffee is grown.

Scarlet Macaws - photo by Brad Zinda

Scarlet Macaws – photo by Brad Zinda

Finally, our third and final destination of the trip was along the Pacific coast at Punta Leona in Puntarenas. Here we were able to see lots of Scarlet Macaws. We did lots of cool activities while here including outrigger canoeing on the Pacific. I also snorkeled for the first time ever and spotted lots of awesome fish along some coral reefs, including puffer fish and sea urchins. The group also had the choice to go zip-lining or hike Carara National Park. I of course chose hiking and saw some more neat birds like the Red-capped Manakin. We also did a boat tour of the Tárcoles River and saw several crocodiles.

By the end of the trip I had seen 152 bird species and had an amazing experience that I will never forget.  I would highly recommend this trip to anyone!

Written by Brad Zinda (2014 Costa Rica Adventure participant)

*originally published in the Aldo Leopold Audubon Society newsletter – 2014

Share Our Post

Share this post through social bookmarks: