Tour Leader Spotlight: Sue Kissinger

Posted by Boelk, Amy Sue - August 8, 2017 - Belize, Featured, South Africa, Tours

Having worked at UW-Stevens Point for the past 25 years, Sue Kissinger has been leading international adventure tours for 15 years. With over 16 trips under her belt to a variety of countries in Central America and Europe including Costa Rica, Belize, Guatemala, Mexico, Iceland, Poland and Germany, she is looking forward to joining alumni, community, faculty and students in South Africa and Belize next year. We sat down for a Q & A session with Sue to find out more about her love of travel, favorite moments and upcoming South African Adventure and Belize Tropical & Mayan Adventure tours:

Q: What is your association with UWSP?
A: I’ve been on campus for 25 years having worked in the College of Natural Resources (CNR) for 22 years as the coordinator of Advising, Recruitment and Alumni Relations. I currently serve as a career specialist in the Academic and Career Advising Center. Most CNR alumni will remember Mike Pagel – I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to try to replace Mike when he retired from Career Services – those are big shoes to fill (literally!)

Q: What you enjoyed most about working with students and faculty within CNR?
A: I am biased (being a CNR alumni) but I feel the CNR is the best college on campus. The best part about my current job is that I can still work with the students and faculty in the CNR – maybe not every day but throughout the semester. I still speak in CNR classes, conduct workshops on resumes, USA Jobs applications and interviewing specifically for the CNR plus I meet on-one-one with current students and alumni to assist them with their careers.

Q: What drew you to begin leading tours with UWSP Adventure Tours?
A: I have known Trevor Roark since he was a college student and I love his passion and enthusiasm for life and wanted to be a part of his program. I also wanted to offer the trips that I have led through the ‘Becoming an Outdoors Woman’ program to a broader range of participants. Finally, my husband Don (also a CNR alumni) is a great co-leader. With AT, he is able to be my travel companion and ever-attentive assistant!

Q: What things do you feel participants gain most when traveling with UWSP Adventure Tours/why should alum be interested in our tours?
A: I think this quote from a recent Iceland traveler sums it up quite nicely:
While traveling and seeing sights and especially at the Blue Lagoon, I decided that a big advantage of going on a group adventure trip, is that I will get to see and do more than what I would do if I were traveling on my own/with spouse. We pay the trip expense up front and don’t have to dwell on whether we should pay the $60/person to soak in the Blue Lagoon (just one example). That’s what would have happened if we were there on our own. I can see us shaking our head no, we’d pass up the experience in order to save some money. BUT we are THERE to experience all things Iceland and Iceland can be expensive. And the bit of paradise that Maggi drove us to explore, NEVER would we have been able to find or see that on our own. And the Icelandic lessons from Herdis and her rhubarb jam on our picnic lunch and her insight of going to the Hostel to find the least expensive wool sweaters in all of the country. All those kinds of things are some of the perks of going on a UWSP Adventure Tour. Not to mention the energy and upbeat way of looking at each day that you and Don shared with the 20 of us. And I complemented Don on the trip and do so again, he was the watchful and ever-present shepherd or guardian angel. Never making anyone feel like they were being wayward or holding up the group or getting lost. He was just there to be sure we were indeed safe and NOT lost and keeping us herded in the right direction at the right time. Well done!” (-2017 Iceland Tour Participant)

Q: What aspects of your upcoming South Africa & Belize tours should participants look forward to?
A: I LOVE Belize – it provides travelers with everything tropical in one tiny country. The first part of the trip is filled with tropical rain forests, Mayan ruins, amazing bird life, awesome flora and fauna (sloths, monkeys, iguanas … ). The second part of the trip is on the tropical paradise of South Water Caye – a 15-acre island that is part of the second largest barrier reef in the world! We will spend time snorkeling, kayaking, laying in hammocks and eating amazing fresh fish! Options for fishing and diving available. I always work with local guides who promote local tourism, local adventure activities and local food. Is the trip amazing? – you better Belize-it!

Q: You have been to Belize several times now – what are your favorite experiences?
A: My favorite parts include touring the ATM Cave, visiting the Mayan Ruins of Lamanai and Caracol, and finally relaxing on the tropical paradise of South Water Caye.

Q: What are you most looking forward to as you join the leadership of the South Africa tour in 2019?
A: EVERYTHING! I am so excited about this new adventure – especially experiencing it with Alvin Schuller! I can’t wait to see the flora and fauna in South Africa, especially the amazing birds (I love birds), elephants, zebra and giraffes. I am also excited to immerse myself in the culture, learn about the history and walk in the footsteps of Nelson Mandela.

Interested in joining Sue on your next UWSP Adventure Tour?
Learn more about Belize & South Africa.

Share Our Post

Share this post through social bookmarks: