9 Tips for Traveling Abroad: A Student Perspective

Posted by Boelk, Amy Sue - December 22, 2017 - Featured

My first experience traveling outside of the US was on a three week study abroad trip to fulfill a course requirement through the Health Promotion and Human Development Department here at UWSP.  I had a plethora of first time experiences on my trip to the United Kingdom and Ireland and learned things about myself, my studies, and the small corner of the world I visited.  Fortunately I was able to stay an extra week past my course end to visit relatives that lived in England and do more traveling that allowed my family and I to visit Paris and the Isle of Wight.  Even though I only have a month of international travel under my belt I would like to offer some tips for traveling from a novice adventure’s prospective.

Packing Efficiently and Appropriately

Before you take off to any destination you’ll have to do that pesky task of packing up your suit case with all your “vacay” clothes.  What you’re going to bring will all depend on what kind of trip you’re going on and where you’re going, so make sure pack the proper attire for the trip.  One piece of clothing I recommend to bring no matter where you go is a rain coat/wind breaker because they are light enough for warm destinations, great additional layer in mild climates, and can offer security from thieves (we’ll get to that later).  I was able to pack a month’s worth of casual and business clothes and shoes into one backpack and a carry-on.  My secret is all in how you roll your clothes…yes I said roll not fold.  I’ve found that rolling your shirts, pants, socks, and underwear can help save room in your bags.  Also, try to eliminate empty space, a great place to for this is to stuff your shoes with rolled socks.  This helps maximize storage and if you have dress shoes it can help eliminate crease lines that might form from shoes being stuffed in a bag.  Lastly, I brought a second back pack that can be rolled and zipped up that fits into my suit case.  I used this backpack during the day while walking around the cities. A small backpack can be filled with trinkets you find while exploring.  Below is a video that does a great job explains how to fold, roll, or stuff all sorts of clothing that you might bring with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em4lbLf09M0

Leave the Phone Alone

Traveling outside of the US most likely means that you will not have cell phone reception where you are headed.  This can be a GOOD thing believe it or not!  Today we are all sucked into technology and it is nice to use traveling as a time to get disconnected for a bit.  I recommend not purchasing an international phone package because you can also text, call, or FaceTime once you get back to your hotel room or a restaurant that offers Wi-Fi.  Use this lack of access to dive head first into the surroundings and culture around you.  You’re in a foreign place and it’s the exact time to look up from the screen & bask in a new and interesting world around you… so leave the phone in your backpack!  You’ll find yourself engaging in deep conversations, fulfilling the urge to go explore the town, and meeting awesome locals to find inside tips on what to see and do in the area.

Know the Power

Electronics (like a camera, phone, iPod) can come in handy when you’re out traveling.  It’s also nice to stay connected with friends and family if it is an extended trip.  In order to keep those devices charged up you’ll have to check ahead as to what the power supply is in the country you’re traveling to.  A simple google search can tell you the voltage and prong style used for each country’s type of outlets.  Converters and adaptors are available online or you can be like me and buy it once you’re already in country.  It did take me a couple days to find a store that carried adaptors, but the bonus was that I got to spend time adventuring the streets of London browsing shops I’d otherwise never would have seen.  Make sure that you’re buying the correct adaptor/converter for your needs as some just change the plug shape while others help convert the electrical voltage used to run accessories.  Things like hair dryers, clippers, and straighteners might require more or less power than what comes through the wall, so double check the adapter you have will meet your needs.

Boots Are Made for Walking

Walking, walking, and more walking! This form of transportation will seem to be about the only thing you do on your trip besides sleeping in your bed.  Pack shoes that are comfortable, wearable for hours, and that you’re not afraid to get a little messy if you go off the beaten path.  Sightseeing, going to museums, and venturing around means you’ll be walking for long hours and standing in place at lines to see attractions.  Have two or three pairs of shoes packed for different occasions throughout your trip.  You will thank yourself for having functional shoes over fashionable shoes- I guarantee it.

The Hotel is for Sleeping

Finally arriving at your hotel after the long flight is going to
seem like heaven, especially if you cross time zones and get serious jet lag.  Don’t just go to sleep when you get to the hotel! Try to hop right into the time of day your destination is on.  Once you are settled in to your room leave. (Yes really leave!) You’re on vacation for a reason and you won’t experience anything about that place or culture from within the walls of your hotel room.  Get familiar with the local streets and surrounding area.  Explore what is close to you and try to remember distinct features so if you get turned around you can find your hotel easier.  I found tons of stores, restaurants, and landmarks within ten to fifteen minutes of walking distance and I discovered most of them by wandering around.  Having a good sense of direction and understanding of where you’ve walked is necessary if you are going without someone who knows the area.  I enjoy the feeling of getting ‘lost’ in the world around you because you may never know what you may find, especially since most of those things will not be in a travel book. There is nothing better than finding restaurants and stores with friendly people- those are the hidden gems.

Zip, Zip it Up

When traveling anywhere it is important to keep your belongings safe and secure, whether it is locking them in your hotel safe or carrying them on you while you’re walking.  When selecting bags to bring on your trip, use ones that have zippers on them to access pockets since it makes it harder and louder for someone to open them.  Avoid buttoned, magnetic, and open bags/purses because pickpockets will see your bag as an easier target.  Zippered bags can also be sealed with mini locks that fit through zipper tabs for extra security.  For ladies with purses, wear your purse on the front or side with a hand on the bag always.  Wear backpacks in front of you, unless traveling in a group of people where others will have eyes on your backpack when you’re in front of them.  Here is where that wind breaker/rain jacket that we packed in our suite cases now becomes in handy.  The jacket can become an extra shield against would be thieves and snatchers that are on the streets.  Wearing your purse and backpack under your jacket not only keeps them dry if it is raining, but also stops anyone from cutting your straps and taking off with your belongings.  We encountered police officers that would always remind us to move our bags and wallets to the front because of pickpockets that were on the tubes (subways) of London.

Dive into Culture

Of course, traveling is about seeing massive landmarks, awesome human-made structures and unique environments. But it is also about seeing HOW people live in these places.  Experiencing different languages/accents, customs, and viewpoints are really what makes traveling to a new destination amazing.  Since you’re spending a significant amount of time in a whole new culture, embrace and surround yourself with the unknown, the different, and the seemingly odd.  One of the most fascinating realizations I made when traveling and talking to people were the mindsets and views people had about the world.  The way people thought and viewed the community, citizens, and their environment were different than how I thought about them and it was great to hear their thought process and perspectives as to why things are done the way they are.  Learning about the culture you’re surrounded by is just as impressive as any mountain peak or tourist trap. Get out there and strike up a conversation with someone and just listen to how they talk about and reference their home.

Your taste buds are on Vacation Too!

This is probably one of my favorite tips that I can offer to any leaving the US…and it is of course related to FOOD!  I love cooking and eating delicious food. (I mean who doesn’t)  While on your travels you will stumble across bizarre foods and new takes on food you think you already know.  London was an amazing location to visit because they had so many ethnic foods around the city, it was impossible to try them all before I left.  Get out there and try something even if you have no idea what it is. It’s okay to let you taste buds take a leap of faith into the culinary unknown.  One of my favorite sub and soup chains to eat at was ‘Pret A Manger’ and you can find them on almost every block around London. The food tastes so fresh and the variety they offer will satisfy all appetites.  ‘Pret’ is a perfect fit for traveler because it is quick and allows you to grab and go while on your adventures.  Even though I was out trying new foods, I could not resist to urge to try McDonalds to see what the differences where between the US and the UK.  Now, I’m not sure if it was because I busy eating all sorts of delicious food, but UK McDonalds kind of sucked, it was pretty plain tasting.  The only positive I had from McDonalds was they had awesome ice cream flavors that made up for the boring McNuggets.  The meals in Ireland were fantastic, everything we ate was hardy and filled you up.  Bacon and cabbage was one of the best meals I had while in Ireland, but being a true Wisconsinite I had to try their ‘fish ‘n chips’.  Fish ‘n chips are pretty standard wherever you go but I recommend going to places along the coast to find the best fresh platters around.  Of course, when in Ireland you HAVE to have a Guinness, for those older than 18 (as the drinking age is lower in Europe than the US), because they just are not the same back home.  For every new attraction or site you see you should taste a new cuisine. This will ensure you trip is as tasty as it is beautiful.

1000 Words in a picture

Once you return home you’ll want to share your experiences and stories with friends and family and how better else to do so than pictures.  The frustrating part of telling a story to someone is when you know you took an amazing picture that will tie the whole thing together…and then not being able to find it in your sea of memories.  I’m not a person to take a thousand photos of every tree, building, or mountain that I see.  I find it better to take pictures that have specific meaning, are intriguing to me, and that can easily tell a story of my experience.  Take pictures that will bring back memories of when you took it, pictures that you can envision exactly where you were standing and how you were feeling when you snapped it.  Taking pictures in this manner will not only cut down on clutter, but it will allow you to tell a memory with every picture from your trip. Organizing your pictures while you take them can be immensely helpful so when you get home you don’t have to worry about figure out what pictures were taken where.  Create albums on your phone or have different SD cards for your camera to help sort out your photography process.  Lastly, if you are using your phone to take pictures make sure you have a way to back those pictures up in case you break or lose your phone.  Google photos, Dropbox, Shutterfly and Shoebox, among other apps, allow for unlimited storage once you connect to Wi-Fi to sync your photos.  Sync your phone periodically when you get to your hotel to ensure you never lose a memory.

Written by Brady Lepak 2017 HPHD Adventure Tours Practicum Student

Photo Credits: Brady Lepak, Cheyenne Woepse, Liz Fischer, Katie Uhlenbrauck, Sallie Scovill

Share Our Post

Share this post through social bookmarks: