Dear new students

No Comments on Dear new students

The above image, found here from photographer Eric Chan, I think represents the feeling of starting college or graduating college or any big step in your life. Fun, exciting, totally terrifying. 

I’ve given it a lot of thought, and if you check how much time has passed since my last blog post you know I mean A LOT of thought, to what to write about this semester. It’s been weird to realize upon entering my final semester of my undergraduate work that there are many ways that it is similar to my first semester. I am at this weird place in life where I feel nostalgic and accomplished about moving up in the world while also being completely lost and afraid.

freshman year
One of the only photos I can find from my first semester at UW-Stevens Point. Playing video games outside of Biology 101. I mean, you can’t be deep and thoughtful all the time.

I could tell you more about how lost I’ve been feeling. How the universal college experience of asking the question, “What am I doing with my life?” has been coursing through my mind every chance it gets and how I am mourning choices I have not made and worrying about the choices I have made. But I think you all probably know those feels.

worried
I look worried here, right? I mean, I was worried about a dance performance I was about to start, but it fits here in this blog post too, right?

So, I’m going to take it the opposite direction. Despite this lost early-20s thing that I’m going through, I’d like to think there are plenty of things that I have learned that may give others some direction; some more sense of being grounded as you begin your journey through your undergraduate experience.

pondering
Me pondering the future and the vast wisdom I have attained from my undergraduate experience — or wondering what to have for lunch and trying to pretend my photographer sister isn’t taking more pictures of me again. One of those.

So this is part 1 of a series I am starting. I am going to first tell you how to be successful in class in your first semester, maybe then about how I chose my major, my favorite classes I took at UW-Stevens Point, that kind of thing, maybe a little about my future plans and how scary they feel. It may be mostly obvious things like: “go to class,” and “do things you like”, but if nothing else, I hope it gives one of you some comfort to know that those obvious things aren’t always easy, and still, you’ll get through it and be panicking in four years when, like me, you are once again faced with finding your place.

swinging on the door
This is me skipping class in high school to swing on the bathroom stall doors. This is the kind of thing you can’t do in college and expect to pass. See the pearls of wisdom I’m about to impose?

I’m sure your journey won’t look like mine. It won’t look like anyone else’s. But you’ve decided to go to UW-Stevens Point, which in my completely biased opinion, is a great start.

Facebooktwitterlinkedinmail