Use summer to plan ahead

No Comments on Use summer to plan ahead

Hi, everyone! I hope everyone is enjoying their summer as we enter the heart of it and near the end. As a child, summer was all fun and games with few responsibilities or requirements. Summer as a college student means many more responsibilities. The beginning of summer is a good time to relax and let the stresses of a full school year fade away. But in good time, the stresses rebuild and it is time to focus on the next year. In order to keep the stresses at a minimum, it is important to keep up during the summer and plan ahead.

For me, planning ahead isn’t just for the next year, but the rest of my college career. It is important to see the end of your college career so you can know what necessary classes, internships and jobs will ultimately be beneficial to your success in the future.

As I took the initiative at the end of my sophomore year to look further into my future, I found graduating early to be a possibility. Once I was dedicated to this decision I knew I had plenty of planning and preparing to do this summer to get on the right track. If you want to consider graduating early, talk to your adviser to discuss whether it’s right for you and to create a plan for doing so.

Whether you are looking into graduating early or not, I highly recommend at least one three-credit summer class. This summer I signed up for three classes. This will bring me a semester ahead and allow me to complete the ultimate 120-credit fulfillment. Taking summer classes will allow you to have some room to breathe during the school semester and possibly pick up a class that would be too much to handle with other credits.

Another great way I am preparing for the upcoming semester during the summer is by working and sending in job applications to work at school as well. Working is a crucial part of summer for us college students because we never seem to have enough of it, whether it be to pay for groceries, rent, tuition, books or other necessities, working in the summer allows you to build up some cash to start the school year on a high note.

While taking summer classes and working to prepare myself for the upcoming semester, I always make sure to make time for myself, my friends and my family, and most importantly, to enjoy my summer. I have found this is the best way to make my summer productive and not lose that relaxed summer feeling.

Alyssa Deem is a communication major from Lake in the Hills, Ill.

Facebooktwitterlinkedinmail