My College Experience so far

No Comments on My College Experience so far

Tuesday was my last first day at University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point as an undergraduate student. I look forward to all the changes that are coming soon, but I also look back at how college has shaped me to be the person I am today. My time in college has not always been at UW-Stevens Point. After receiving my associate’s degree from
UW-Marshfield/Wood County, I transferred to UW-Stevens Point to start my junior year.

Looking back, much has happened at each stage of my college career.

First College Experience
Even though my experience started at a small two-year campus, I was still nervous because I did not know what to expect. I became an ambassador my first year, which gave me a bit of an upper hand of knowledge on the other incoming first year students. Being an ambassador helped me understand the campus and where I could go to find help. It also helped me gain so much confidence and improve my public speaking skills.

I tried to immerse myself in what was happening at UW-Marshfield Wood County. I became involved with student senate and the women’s basketball team. I met so many people and learned so much in my time there, which helped me step out of my comfort zone even more when I got to UW-Stevens Point.

Mikayla in Kindergarten
Mikayla in Kindergarten

First days at UWSP
I thought I was nervous my first day at UW-Marshfield/Wood County. When I got to UW-Stevens Point, I was so much more nervous. It was a bigger school with so many more people. Because I commute a half hour to campus, I was also unsure how my experience would go. At first, all I did was go home right after class. My time at UWSP really didn’t mean that much because I was just going to class and getting the work done. Then a friend suggested I apply for an internship in the University Relations and Communications Office. I have had the internship for almost a year, and I have gained so much knowledge and experience from getting involved on campus. I am now part of Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA), which has helped me network with many professionals and helped me grow even more.

Looking Back
As I look back at the person I was on my first day of college, I realize she was more naïve than the person I am today. Through all of the classes I have taken and the extra-curricular activities I have been part of, I have become more of a well-rounded person. I wouldn’t trade my experience at UW-Stevens Point. UWSP has become a second home and a place that will always hold a special place in my heart. I did not know how much college was  going to impact my life, but I am so grateful for all that I have experienced.