Learning to advocate for myself

No Comments on Learning to advocate for myself

“Self advocacy: know yourself, know what you need, get it”

— Anonymous

College is one of the most stressful, yet best times of your life. In this day and age, it seems like everyone needs to get a degree to be successful.

Junior year of high school, all of my friends were visiting colleges with their parents, studying hard for standardized tests and applying to more schools than I even knew existed. It seemed like they were all on the same page about college — except for me. I had no idea where to start, how to study, or if my parents would even take me on a college visit. It seemed like everyone knew what to do as if they had done it before, and I was missing out.

This is when it became important for me to advocate for myself because I realized my friend’s parents were advocating for them. My parents were indifferent about college, they did not have any experience, and my dad was even against the idea, so I was pretty much on my own. Once I made the decision I wanted to attend college and continue my education, I decided I needed more of three things: information, time and money.

In high school, plenty of counselors, teachers and advisers at specific colleges are more than willing to help. Not only do they have the information you need, but they have first-hand experience. Let them know you are doing this for yourself so you can receive the extra support. I understand it is not always easy to talk to someone in a place of authority about sensitive topics, but I believe you will find it useful and relieving. I found it encouraging to talk to my friends and their parents. They offered to bring me on college visits and answered questions from a different perspective than the school staff. It was easier talking to them knowing they fully understood my circumstances. After inquiring solely about information , I was no longer the only one advocating for myself — so were all the people I talked to along the way.

Because I started the search later than everyone else, I felt pressed for time. How was I supposed to choose the right college that fit all my requirements of location, size, credibility, expenses, sports, etc.? I was discouraged I would not have enough time. I felt even more rushed because I wanted to go somewhere to play volleyball.

What I ultimately learned from this and wish I had known, was to start my search earlier and to clearly analyze every aspect of my decision. It is impossible to make a good decision with scattered feelings and thoughts. I also found it helpful to have someone on the outside take a look in. They will not have the same emotions attached to your decision, allowing them to clearly see which college fits your requirements. Time is a factor regardless of whether you are advocating for yourself, but it should not cause overwhelming stress.

Once I was comfortable with the knowledge I gained about furthering my education, money became an issue. Money was an issue primarily because I was on my own. Loans, financial aid and scholarships all seemed so daunting to me because it was unfamiliar. I had nowhere near enough money to pay for college, and I knew my parents did not either. Once my mom took the time to learn about my search, she wanted to help. She was not able to help financially, but mentally the support was immense.

The University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point offers a wide range of scholarships and financial aid to students in need. With the help of the university, my family and my own money, I am able to fully cover the costs of attending college.

Ultimately I learned that there is no greater advocate for you than yourself. If you push yourself, make positive connections and ask questions, it comes down to how badly do you want to succeed.

Alyssa Deem is a communication major from Lake in the Hills, Ill.

-Alyssa