Hi, Pointers! It’s October, and that means it is time to start filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the 2019-2020 school year! I’ve gathered a few tips and tricks to help you complete it successfully.
These are the five tips you should know!
1. Start early! The FAFSA for the 2019-2020 academic year opened up on October 1, 2018. When completing the application, you and/or your parents must use your tax information from 2017. It is recommended to complete the application as soon as possible to ensure you don’t miss out on any available aid for which you are eligible.
2. Even if you think you may not qualify for federal student aid, it is still important to fill out the FAFSA. Completing the FAFSA may allow you to be eligible for work study and other non-need-based types of aid dependent upon your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). You may also need to complete the FAFSA to be considered for some scholarships.
3. Even if you file the FAFSA as early as you can, that doesn’t guarantee you’ll get your award earlier. Many schools operate on their own timelines when sending award notices. See our webpage detailing dates and deadlines about award notices.
4. After filing the FAFSA, check your email regularly. UW-Stevens Point will contact you through email should you need to provide additional information. Be sure to respond in a timely manner to avoid delays.
5. If you need help filling out the FAFSA, attend a College Goal Wisconsin event! You can receive free and professional onsite assistance from the volunteers. On Wednesday, October 10th, UW-Stevens Point will be hosting an event at the College of Professional Studies. It starts promptly at 6 p.m. I highly encourage you to attend, and I assure you it is very helpful.
If you have any questions regarding the FAFSA, please don’t hesitate to stop by the UW-Stevens Point Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships, located in room 103 of the Student Services Center. Our office hours are 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Find us on Twitter or visit our website. We are happy to help students and Pointer parents!