What I Wish I Had Known Coming into College 

No Comments on What I Wish I Had Known Coming into College 

By: Jack Orlando 

Choosing to go to college is a big decision.  

Attending a university gives you the opportunity to take your education to the next level. You also get to meet new friends and peers. 

College also provides you opportunities to grow and learn more about who you are.  

When I was coming into college, I was nervous. But I was equally excited for the journey ahead. 

As a current senior at UWSP, I have learned a lot in my time here. If you are looking for college advice, here are a few things that I wish I had known before starting at UWSP: 

1. I started to adjust to my life at UWSP a few weeks after classes started. My advice is to give yourself time. You will find your new normal! 
  1. Keep in mind that your peers are in the same situation as you are. Everyone is adjusting to being on campus together! It may seem like others are college “professionals,” but they are not.  
  1. It is okay to change your major. I have changed my major twice! The faculty and staff at UWSP are great at helping navigate major changes. I have found new interests in college, which is how I found the major that is right for me.  
  1. Pursue clubs/activities! Moving to college may feel like a complete reset; however, remember that you still have your same interests and passions. I have met some of my closest friends by joining clubs related to my interests! I have also found new interests, as well. 
  1. Say “yes” to trying new things. I had never tried curling before I came here. When one of my friends offered to show me how to curl, I decided it could be fun (and it was!). I made friends and gained a new experience.  
  1. Use your resources! There are many people at UWSP that want to help you succeed. Some resources are tutoring, health services, the city bus system, campus gyms and library resources. These things and more are available to you at no extra cost – use them! Going to tutoring is how I learned many great study skills.  
  1. Residence Halls are such fun places to live. The people in each hall make the experience what it is! I recommend talking to people on your floor. Knowing my neighbors was fun and made UWSP feel like home
  1. You can get tickets to many live events, shows, concerts, sporting events, movies and activities for free using your student ID. I enjoy going to hockey games! 

We can’t wait to welcome you home, Pointers!