Get out there and meet people!

3 Comments on Get out there and meet people!

Hello!

In this blog, I want to focus on the importance of immersing with the college culture, because you will fit in, no matter what.

One thing I noticed about college, which was different from high school, is that there are no cliques in college. When I first arrived at the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point, I didn’t know who I was or what I wanted to do and I am telling you now that is okay!

You are young and college is the perfect place to discover yourself. I know that is what I did!

There are people from all walks of life, and being a diversity manager on campus, for Diversity and College Access, I am able to meet with people from different cultures from all over the world; I am fortunate to have this opportunity. I have many friends who are nothing like me and that is what makes things at UW-Stevens Point awesome. You can hang out with people like you or not like you. You do you!

Keep this in mind: You don’t have to try to fit in anywhere. You will fit in on your own. You don’t have to try to fit in anywhere because you already will by being yourself; college is a clique-free zone!

Don’t force it. If you don’t know who you are, continue to be active to find out who you are. I struggled with that until I was 21 years old. It took me 21 years. For some people it comes sooner, for some people it comes later. I did it by culturing myself in college and being active. I have been active in as many things as possible to know who I am, what I like to do, and what I want to do!

Find places to get involved on campus at the UW-Stevens Point Student Involvement and Employment Office (SIEO), website!

It puts on speeches, helps you find a job or a way to volunteer, and get involved!

Participate in everything and anything, even if it’s not your thing. You’ll probably find that if you participate, you always have fun. Do not be the person who is “too cool for school” because you will miss out. When you are at UW-Stevens Point, experience everything and fear nothing. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes because they are only life lessons in disguise. You don’t need to be afraid because I promise you, everything will be OK. Breathe.

Want to apply to or visit UW-Stevens Point? Click on the link below!

UW-Stevens Point Admissions 

Until next time!

Kaya B. Gravitter

3 Responses to “Get out there and meet people!”

1. mm
    Maas, Taylor C

This is such good advice. I hear from lots of people that they wish they had been more involved in college life. There are just SO many clubs, sports, and events at UW-Stevens Point. There is something for everyone.