Hi Pointers! It’s officially fall, and that means it’s time to start filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the 2018-2019 school year! I’ve gathered five tips to help you complete it successfully.
Starting October 1, 2017 the FAFSA can be completed online here.
These are the five tips you should know:
- Start early! The FAFSA for the 2018-2019 academic year opens up on October 1, 2017. When completing the application, you or your parents must use your tax information from 2016. It is recommended to complete the application as soon as possible to ensure you don’t miss out on any available aid.
- Even if you think you may not qualify for federal student aid, it is still important to fill out the FAFSA. Completing the FAFSA may allow you to be eligible for work study and other non-need-based types of aid, dependent upon your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). You may also need to complete the FAFSA to be considered for some scholarships.
- Even if you file the FAFSA as early as you can, that doesn’t guarantee you’ll get your award earlier. Many schools operate on their own timelines when sending award notices. See our office’s webpage detailing dates and deadlines about award notices.
- After filing the FAFSA, check your email regularly. UW-Stevens Point will contact you through email, should you need to provide additional information. Be sure to respond in a timely manner if the university contacts you about the financial aid form.
- If you need help filling out the FAFSA, attend a College Goal Wisconsin event! You can receive free and professional onsite assistance from the volunteers. On Wednesday, Oct. 4 UW-Stevens Point will be hosting an event inside the College of Professional Studies building on the first floor at 6 p.m. If you attend, you can enter to win a scholarship!* I highly encourage you to attend and assure you (from my own experience) it is very helpful. Find more information on everything you need to bring here.
If you have any questions regarding the FAFSA, please don’t hesitate to stop in the Financial Aid Office on campus. In case you missed my last post, our office is located in room 106 of the Student Services Center. If you don’t have time to stop in, feel free to send an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are happy to answer any questions that students (or Pointer parents) may have!
*Please note: You must be a high school senior to enter the scholarship drawing.