Financial Aid FAQ

 No Comments on Financial Aid FAQ

Hello, Pointers! Have you ever had a question about financial aid but didn’t know if it was a common one to ask? Below are several frequently asked questions the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships receive.


1. When can I start filling out the FAFSA?

The FAFSA, otherwise known as the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, opens up for the following academic year each on October 1. You may fill out the FAFSA for the 2019-20 academic year now and when you do, you must use 2017 tax information. Priority dates can be found here.


2. Where can I pay my bill?

You may pay your bill at Student Financial Services, located in room 003 of the Student Services Center. This office can also assist you with other questions related to your university bill.


3. I need more money to pay my bill. What can I do?

Students already receiving the maximum amount possible based on his/her grade level may apply for a private educational loan. Additionally, the federal parent PLUS loan is available for parents of dependent students to help fill the gap. In certain situations, students who are awarded work-study may be able to reduce their work-study allotment in order to increase their Direct Loan. Please contact our office to find out if this applies to you. We always recommend searching and applying for scholarships.

To discuss your financial situation in-depth, you may schedule an appointment with one of our advisers.


4. My family has had some unusual circumstances since I filled out the FAFSA. How do I report that?

Complete the Unusual Circumstances Form and an adviser will review the information provided to determine if you would be eligible for additional aid.

Some special situations may include loss of employment, marital separation/divorce, death, or out-of-pocket medical expenses not covered by insurance.


5. What is the difference between subsidized and unsubsidized direct loans?

Subsidized loans are awarded based on financial need as determined by our office and your eligibility. The federal government pays the interest on these loans while students are in school at least half-time and during certain periods, such as grace and deferment. On the other hand, unsubsidized loans are awarded regardless of financial need, but the borrower is responsible for the interest from the time the loan is disbursed until it is paid in full.


To view a complete list of frequently asked questions, visit our website here. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to email us at or stop in our office. We’re located in room 103 of the Student Services Center. We are happy to help students (and Pointer parents)!


Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to comment, log in with your social media account.