Health Quick Tip: Apple Cider Vinegar

No Comments on Health Quick Tip: Apple Cider Vinegar
Health blogger Alyssa Deem shares her experience adding apple cider vinegar to her daily routine.
Taking care of your body is one of the best things you can do for yourself. I strongly believe whatever you put into your body is what you get out. About a year ago, I decided to take my health into my own hands and transition to a vegan lifestyle. It is something I am extremely passionate about, and I’m looking forward to sharing more tips, recipes, things I’ve learned and what I know about the vegan lifestyle and health and wellness on the blog.

This week I want to discuss the uses and health benefits of apple cider vinegar. Hearing the word “vinegar” might make some, or most people, cringe. I know it made me! What most people don’t know about apple cider vinegar, is how many different ways you can use it to benefit your body – by simply consuming a tablespoon at least once a day.

For the past few months I have been experimenting with it. I’ve tried to figure out the best methods for consumption and effectiveness, while continuing to learn all the ways it can be beneficial. According to Health Remedies Journal, apple cider vinegar has been proven to help with weight loss, heartburn, cholesterol, nutrient absorption and cleansing of the liver. With this strong list of benefits, you might be wondering why you haven’t already started taking a tablespoon a day.

AppleCiderVinegar

For those of you who do not know, apple cider vinegar might possess one of the most displeasing smells you can imagine, and the taste is equivalent. This raises the question: How can one possibly manage to put up with the taste and smell every single day? At first I thought I could stomach taking a small “shot” of it when I woke up in the morning, but after two attempts, there was no way I was doing it alone again. I read on Simple Organic Life a lot of people mix it with water, but I found it best to mix it with my tea every morning and/or night. The taste is very strong, so you can still taste it in tea. But I have gotten used to it and remind myself of its benefits every day.

AppleCiderVinegarTea

So far I have been putting apple cider vinegar in my tea every morning for a month now. I have grown accustomed to the taste when mixed, but I don’t think I will ever grow accustomed to the smell when I pour it. Although 60 days is when results really start to show, I have already seen improvement in my digestion and I will continue for at least another month to see where it takes me. It takes a lot of patience and a little motivation to find the best way to take a tablespoon everyday, but it will definitely be worth it in the long run.

If you’re interested in learning more about health and fitness during your time as a Pointer, stop by the Student Health Promotion Office, located in the Allen Center on campus! Learn more about studying health promotion/wellness at UW-Stevens Point here.