Meet the busybody: Amy Vida

Comments Off on Meet the busybody: Amy Vida
amysga201310
Group photo of SGA senators and executive staff

AmyVidaHi! My name’s Amy, and I’m an English and family & consumer sciences education double major (who really wishes she could pick up German as a third). I am going to graduate from UW-Stevens Point in December 2016.

I really, really like education. A lot.
A lotttt, apparently.
(send help)

I’m from Slinger. It’s a smaller town in southeastern Wisconsin, pretty nearly sandwiched between Menomonee Falls and West Bend, about 25 miles north of Milwaukee. I’m a first generation college student. I always knew I’d attend college–I’ve wanted to be an English teacher since I was 12. I did all my college tours on my own or with friends, only to find that my parents were pretty (absolutely) firm on me attending a two-year in the UW System before moving on to a university. I spent one year there and broke it to my parents that I was absolutely transferring–it wasn’t for me. I actually made this super sick spreadsheet comparing all the four-years by population and gender ratio and area shopping and residence halls and costs and stuff to decide where to transfer to. Point won!

I love it here. I started as an English-German double major, though I dropped German after a semester to take up family & consumer sciences. This is my third year at UWSP–I have four more semesters and then a year of student teaching to go. I’ll keep you updated on the senioritis, which I have fortunately not yet contracted.

In my time here, I’ve been involved in a fewwww things. I was recruited for the Mary K. Croft Tutoring-Learning Center, where I still work, during my very first semester here in fall of 2011. In the spring, I joined the Stevens Point Association of Family & Consumer Sciences (SPAFCS). I’m vice president now. When I came back last year, I worked for University Dining Services (UDS) for a grand total of eight weeks before being hired mid-semester as a community advisor in Hansen Residence Hall. I began volunteering for The Cupboard student food pantry last fall, too, and joined the board of directors for that. This fall, I joined the ranks of the Student Government Association (SGA), where I was immediately made the caucus chair of the College of Professional Studies (CPS). So hi! I’m probably your representative if you’re reading this.

I did Labor of Love this fall, and I’ve done STEM Career Day, College Day for Kids, and Women in the Sciences Day here on campus. Yeah. Signing up for things. Recommended. It’s good! Some of the things I’ve gotten that I most value came from my involvement stemmed from my passion for learning, for school, for helping, for engaging in campus. It makes a big difference, I can’t stress that enough.

I’m a little awkward and sort of introverted, but also somehow loud and overbearing? I try to be approachable. I love to read and write, and I really love to look at and help with papers (come see me at the TLC!). I like music, but mostly music that people around here don’t listen to. I watch a few TV shows, my favorite of which miiiight be Game of Thrones. I really like How I Met Your Mother, too. And Suits.

I’m very sarcastic, and I use big words. Lots of people complain. I like English grammar a lot, which people also complain about, and I type really loudly which people complain about less than they used to since I got this special really obnoxious keyboard muffling cover. I bake, and I’m really good at it, and nobody complains about that.

I never know what to say about myself. I love the things I like, I really enjoy being useful and productive, I’m obsessively organized and I’m hopelessly amped to be a teacher someday. I get real heated about education stuff, and I really like talking to people. I really believe that the purpose of life is to create a life of purpose, and that’s what I really strive to do. As long as I get enough sleep, I’m not too much of a jerk.

I’ll mostly use this to talk about my experiences with FCS, SGA, education in general, and probably campus-life stuff of all kinds. I’d say I’m not very long-winded, but that would be a blatant lie. I’m glad to be here, sending my words out into the internet for UWSP. Thanks for reading!

-Amy

Amy Vida is a junior at the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point majoring in family & consumer sciences and English.