HPW Internship: The Athletic Republic
HPW Student Internship Experience – Rebecca Pollum 15′
Interning at the Athletic Republic opened me up to an exciting new training atmosphere and learning environment. The Athletic Republic focuses on sport-specific, individualized programming and is designed for athletes preparing for upcoming sports seasons, for the purpose of gaining an advantage in the off-season and keeping their skills sharp during their season. Their programs pushes athletes to discover their full potential, making athletes faster, stronger and more agile than before. During my internship, I trained athletes in individualized training programs one-on-one to up to groups of five. The training sessions focused on three main workouts; forward run protocol, plyometric/rapid response protocol, and backward run/backpedal protocol. We also offer an active recovery training session for highly active athletes. I also helped with team training, which included athletes of all ages in sports such as hockey, softball, ultimate Frisbee, volleyball, baseball, etc. I also helped with painting and designing new marks on the turf and training floor and painting quotes and the logo on the turf wall. As proper nutrition is very important for athletes, I wrote a nutrition sections for Athletic Republics newsletter. It was a very rewarding experience to be able to get to know athletes and help them achieve their goals!
- Observe, lead, teach AR training protocol to member athletes.
- Assist clients in identifying poor body mechanics and educate on altering poor athletic motor mechanical habits into sound, coordinated, efficient, and effective athletic movements.
- Help athletes understand the reasoning behind training, teaching athletes to work through and how to through thresholds in training; physical and mental thresholds.
- Promotion and Marketing:
- Social media marketing, and class implementation.
- Learn how to utilize social media sites to promote AR business and to enhance the customer experience.
- Organize, implement, and promote a class at the facility.
- Organizational Experiences:
- Work on scheduling, organize training packets for the day, participate in, and contribute to staff meetings..
- Take scheduling requests and learn how to balance client scheduling.
- Learn how to create, organize, how to prepare the training packets for the day.
- Add insightful and constructive criticism during meetings, as well as be able to handle criticism and utilize it to become enhance training.
Director of Training
411 Prairie Heights Drive
Verona, WI 53593
35/week, 400 hours total
UW-Stevens Point Students Who Completed Internship
- Rebecca Polum, Fall 2015
- Mark Puckhaber, Spring 2014
- Betsie Ferguson, Summer 2014
- Kaade Trones, Summer 2011
- Bryanna Tremillo, Fall 2012
- Kate Churchill, Summer 2012