HPW Internship: Dan Abraham Health Living Center
Overall Goal of Internship
At completion of this internship, the intern will gain an excellent understanding and knowledge of how DAHLC provides a variety of health and wellness programs to employees/community-sponsored events. The intern will gain experience in behavior change facilitation including Health Risk Assessment, intervention, and reassessment, and will create promotional and marketing projects to increase participation. The organizational experiences will allow for some supervision of an event, small budget experiences, in-service training, and shadowing of the internship supervisor. The intern will work with and be supervised by the DAHLC on-site internship supervisor, Kaisa Wieneke. The intern will complete experiences as outlined by the following specific objectives and be evaluated on his/her performance in each of these areas.
The student will complete 3-4 resume-building experiences from the categories below. Specific projects and outcomes may be added as addendum to this plan within the first 2 weeks of being on-site. Significant changes to the Objectives will be mutually agreed upon by the Internship site supervisor, the student intern, and the UWSP internship supervisor and documentation of these changes will be sent to the UWSP internship supervisor.
- Observe scheduled wellness evaluations one on one with members, and assist in consultation with the members to provide exercise recommendations, programming, health coaching, and post program evaluations.
- Observe a small group training session, i.e. Pregnancy, Active Older Adult, Level 1
- Participate in the development, implementation, data collection and evaluation of wellness programs.
- Observe a session each of individual wellness consultations, individual coaching sessions and small group coaching
- Development of the 2016 “Take the Stairs” Campaign
- Promotion and Marketing:
- Educational worksite presentation observation and facilitation.
- Committee Involvement – participate in meetings.
- Healthy Living Committee
- Employee Wellness (Enterprise group)
- Dept. of Nursing Wellness Champion Steering group
- Healthy Living Rochester
- Wellness Works
- DAHLC newsletter involvement.
- “Walking Wednesday” Wellness Tips
- “12 Habits of Highly Healthy People” program – email communications
- Organizational Experiences:
- Campus-wide Projects as needed.
- Attend meetings when appropriate (Budget, organization, and planning)
- Assistance with Worksite Wellness Champion program
- Monthly resources – newsletter, WellSpace flyers, WellKit resources
- Trimester campaign – meet with Wellness Champion group, research and develop resources, evaluate program
- Assist with recruitment and ongoing communication
- Program planning, implementation and evaluation within departments or work groups
- Wellness Champion Recognition Banquet Planning
- Annual Heritage Classic 5K Walk/Run Planning
- “Walking Wednesday” implementation
- Campus-wide Projects as needed.
MPH Lead Worksite Wellness Coordinator
Dan Abraham Healthy Living Center
440 hours/week 400 hours minimum (480 hours agreed)
Free membership to Dan Abraham Healthy Living Center
UW-Stevens Point Students Who Completed Internship
- James A. Johnson, Summer 2015
- Baihly Birdseye, Spring 2018
- Corey Pedri, Spring 2012
- Elizabeth Olson, Summer 2012