HPW Internship: Kalispell Regional Medical Center / The Summit

Comments Off on HPW Internship: Kalispell Regional Medical Center / The Summit

HPW Student Internship Experience – Bryton Guckenberg Fall 17′
Completing my internship at Kalispell Regional Medical Center – The Summit was a great overall experience for me. There was such a wide variety of things that I got to experience such as Strength and Conditioning, Cardiac Rehabilitation, Wellness Coaching and Exercise Physiology. I got to lead Youth Training Classes where we teach balance, strength and coordination drills while trying to improve athletic performance. It was awesome working with Cardiac Rehab patients. They showed such great improvements week to week and I loved how motivated they were to improve their health. I helped with taking blood pressures pre, post and during exercise. I also led their strength training circuits and stretching and balance exercises. I got to sit in on Wellness Coaching sessions to observe how the coaches would interact with the clients. All the clients are different and it was interesting to see how the assigned coach would approach everyone on such an individual basis. I was able to sit in and watch a VO2 max testing that was done on a young boy that had previous heart complications. It was cool to see how the machines run and how they go about setting up the boy with all of the different heart rate monitors. I’m glad I choose to do my internship at the Summit because I got to experience a ton of different things and open my eyes to things I didn’t know I could do in the field.

Objectives

1. Behavior:
    1. Work with Exercise Physiology Professionals
    2. Gain experience in Strength and Conditioning
    3. Get experience working with Cardiac Rehab experts
    4. Work with Summit Corporate Wellness doing Health Screenings
    5. Gain experience in program management and administration through the following potential programs:
      Competitive Edge (CE), One to One Weight Management, Journey to Wellness (J2W), Body Balance, and the Concussion Management Program.
    6. Do Assessments and Reassessments with CE Performance Lab, One to One and J2W
  2. Promotion and Marketing:
    1. Develop fitness programs and promotion of these as a method to increase clientele.
    2. Corporate Wellness Strategy, Sales, Pitch, Message, Contracts
    3. Create and implement marketing plan(s) to increase participation and/or sales in CE Strength, CE Youth Training Academy, and CE Performance Lab services
  3. Organizational Experiences:
    1. Look at how the Summit runs in order to bring in the maximal amount of clients
    2. Learn what qualification’s the summit looks for in hiring potential trainers
    3. In-service training – Implement FMS (functional movement screen) at The Summit for employees/clients

Contact
Kyle Kercher
Head Strength Coach
Kkercher@krmc.org
406-751-3096
310 Sunnyview Lane
Kalispell, MT 59901

Hours
Up to 40 Hours per Week/ At least 2 days off per week

Stipend
None

UW-Stevens Point Students Who Completed Internship

• Bryton Guckenberg, Fall 2017 (pictured above)