HPW Internship: Air Wisconsin Airlines Corporation
Overall Goal of Internship
At completion of this internship, the intern will gain an excellent understanding and knowledge of how Air Wisconsin Airlines Corporation provides a variety of health and wellness programs to employees/community-sponsored events. The intern will gain experience in behavior change facilitation including Health Risk Assessment, intervention, and reassessment, and will create promotional and marketing projects to increase participation or sales. The organizational experiences will allow for some supervision of an event, small budget experiences, in-service training, and shadowing of the internship supervisor. The intern will work with and be supervised by the Air Wisconsin Airlines Corporation on-site internship supervisor, [Supervisor’s Name]. The intern will complete experiences as outlined by the following specific objectives and be evaluated on his/her performance in each of these areas.
The student will complete 3-4 resume-building experiences from the categories below. Specific projects and outcomes will be added as addendum to this plan within the first 2 weeks of being on-site. A copy will be submitted to the internship advisor at the end of the internship.
- Behavior Change:
- Assist with brainstorming new wellness programming
- Develop and implement stress management program.
- Assess success of program by group participation numbers and reassess how it could be improved.
- Lead a ‘lunch and learn.’
- Assess and reassess participants’ knowledge of the presented topic with a quiz sheet.
- Promotion and Marketing:
- Promote Air Wisconsin’s cost share programs such as Freedom from Smoking, Weight Watchers, & CHIP
- Promote continued participation with the LEAP into Spring Physical Activity Challenge while developing educational materials which are to be provided to participants during the program.
- Work with the LEAP wellness committee member responsible for revamping our LEAP website.
- Research/find topics on various health related wellness topics for blogs, and/or Facebook communication.
- Research/find topic and information for quarterly WELCOA newsletter.
- Generate ideas of LEAP event presenters on appropriate health related topics. Coordinate event and/or facilitate events as applicable.
- Organizational Experiences:
- Assess the 4th LEAP Into Spring’s success after conclusion of the program.
- Assist with compiling and measuring the last 3 years of LEAP wellness efforts to include review of medical claim data, HPI data, Wellness programming participation, etc. Will also examine whether ROI can be measured.
- Review existing wellness budget for completeness and recommend changes as applicable.
- Organize/schedule/publicize the LEAP prize drawing event.
- Plan remaining wellness committee meetings and put together agendas for upcoming ones to be facilitated/attended.
Anne Prunty, SPHR
Director, Benefit & Disability Programs
W6390 Challenger Drive, Suite 203
Appleton, WI 54914
Minimum of 16 weeks, 36 hours/week for at least 400 hours total
UW-Stevens Point Students Who Completed Internship
- Mandy Leis, Summer 2012 (pictured above)