HPW Internship: Boys and Girls Club of Portage County
Overall Goal of Internship
The intern will gain experience and knowledge working with the Boys and Girls Club throughout Portage County. The intern will follow all employee and facility guidelines determined by the facility supervisor, Wendy Staven. The intern will acquire knowledge in three main areas: behavior change facilitation, organizational, and promotion and marketing. The intern will make useful contributions to the Boys and girls Club of Portage County, Inc.
- Implement existing wellness programming, including Healthy Habits Triple Play, and Smart Moves, on wellness topics including nutrition, physical activity, stress management, self-esteem, anger management, and social skills.
- Work with Boys and Girls club staff to develop intensified version of wellness curriculum to use with a specified group of first-third grade members.
- Work with Boys and Girls club staff to develop materials to be used for the program including parental pre- and post-program evaluations, registration forms and other forms as needed to run the program.
- Promotion and Marketing:
- Assist with promotion/marketing for a maximum of two Boys and Girls Club events during the summer.
- Assist with marketing Boys and Girls Club summer program.
- Assist with promoting an end-of-summer event.
- Attend staff training and development sessions for the first two weeks of internship.
- Assist with planning for summer events taking place at the Boys and Girls Club.
- Work with Boys and Girls Club staff to coordinate and budget for activities and fieldtrips associated with intense wellness curriculum.
- Attend professional staff meetings.
- Assist with organizing of the Boys and Girls Club Annual Campaign (fundraising).
Plover Unit Director
2401 Cedar Drive
Plover, WI 54467
25-35 hours per week for 12 weeks
Two weeks 9am-2pm
Ten weeks 9am-4pm
400 hours maximum
UW-Stevens Point Students Who Completed Internship
- Leah Tompkins-Dorheim, 2009 (pictured above)