HPW Internship: A World Without Suicide

Comments Off on HPW Internship: A World Without Suicide

HPW Student Internship Experience – Jacob Schlender Summer 18′

During my internship with the wonderful Mettie Spiess and A World Without Suicide I had quite a variety of tasks to accomplish both daily, weekly, and monthly. Some general duties I had was running our various social media accounts and keeping up with current mental health news to post about. Another duty I had was building scripts for my speaking pieces during evens. In this particular picture I am speaking to the Cedarburg High School students about internal and external pressures of perfection and how hard it can be to deal with that along with reasons why being perfect isn’t always realistic. During this student body presentation we talked about stigma that relates to mental illness, how to help a friend/yourself if you are in crisis, and some strategies to help cope with daily pressures at their age.  A few other duties I had was doing research about Workplaces and best practice for supporting mental health culture along with differences between gender, race, and age groups when dealing/treating/ or living with mental health issues. The thing I enjoy the most about this internship is being able to do a variety of tasks each day instead of having to do the same stuff. I was able to work on my writing, speaking, editing, and many other skills as well each and every day. My dream job would be in a corporate wellness setting helping create a positive relationship between the work force and the resource department so any issues that arise can be resolved easily as well as be able to relay information to employees easily because of the positive relationship between departments.

Objectives

1. Behavior Change:
    1. Assist in group facilitation with the teen support group in Waupaca/Fox Valley.
    2. Co-Facilitate for A World Without Suicide workshops across the state.
    3. Co-Facilitate suicide prevention education programs
  2. Promotion and Marketing:
    1. Distribute promotional materials for NAMI Fox Valley
    2. Handle social media accounts for A World Without Suicide (LinkedIn, Facebook, etc.)
    3. Book programs with companies, schools, associations for A World Without Suicide workshops
  3. Organizational Experiences:
    1. Work with NAMI Fox Valley at the new facility with clients, support groups, and participate in mental health assistance trainings.
    2. Assist with various fund raising events.
    3. Become a trained NAMI Talks Speaker to be able to give educational sessions to communities

Contact

Mettie Spiess

Certified Wellness Practitioner 153 Mayer St

West Bend, WI 53090

Mettie@AWorldWitoutSuicide.com 

1 (715) 340-0289

Hours

-Advertising/Marketing/Social Media 3-5 Hours/week

-Outbound Outreach 5-10 Hours/Week

-Curriculum Creation (Print, online, or video) 5-10 Hours/week

-Travel for events and facilitation of events (Variable depending on location of event/week) 2-10Hours/week

-NAMI Fox Valley collaboration 8-10 Hours/week

Stipend
Paid registration to national WECLOA Summit if intern chooses to attend

UW-Stevens Point Students Who Completed Internship
Chelsea Swanson, Summer 2018