HPW Internship: Town of Frisco, Colorado Recreation and Culture Department
HPW Student Internship Experience – Carey Kuhfuss Summer 18′
Working as the Recreation Programs Intern for the Town of Frisco has been an enjoyable and rewarding experience. As the intern, my responsibilities vary each day and consist of many different tasks. The Town of Frisco offers two different day camps throughout the summer; one camp, called Frisco Fun Club, is held each week from May-August for children ages 7-12. The other day camp is sports-related, consisting of Adventure, Water, and Bike Camp, and is offered on various weeks throughout the summer. My role is to act as a counselor for these two camps when needed, as well as help plan and implement the activities for the children. I create the parent- newsletters for the sports camps and organize a program called Pedal the Peaks, which is an incentive-based program encouraging the children to ride their bikes this summer.
Furthermore, I have the responsibility to assist my supervisors with multiple races administered by the Town of Frisco Recreation Department. I had the opportunity to experience all that is included to plan, organize, and facilitate recreation events ranging in 100-500 participants. The series of races offered by the Recreation Department is called Run the Rockies, which consist of a 10k and Half Marathon road race, a 6k road race, a Triathlon which includes SUP, trail run, and mountain bike, a kids’ trail running series, and a 10k and Half Marathon trail race. My duties at each event varied, but consisted of working registration, acting as a course marshal, marking/sweeping the course, passing out prizes to 1st-3rd place winners, and assisting with the set-up and take-down of the course materials.
All in all, interning for the Town of Frisco Recreation and Culture Department has been a great opportunity for my professional development. I would recommend this internship if you love the outdoors, enjoy working with children, and appreciate a diverse work week!
- Behavior Change:
- Responsible for the well-being, safety and care of children and youth attending Recreation and Culture Department programs.
- Plan and participates in programs for children’s summer camp.
- Interact with guests, parents, and participants in a positive and professional manner, utilizing excellent guest service standards.
- Responsible for creating a fun and energetic environment for campers on a daily basis.
- Promotion and Marketing:
- Create marketing materials for recreation programs and special events.
- Assist in the distribution of program and event flyers and posters.
- Communicate with camp parents via email and newsletters.
- Organizational Experiences
- Assist with the planning, set-up, execution and tear down of special events.
- Plan, prepare and participate in recreation programs and special events.Attend staff meetings.
- Job shadow supervisors.
Recreation Programs Manager
PO Box 4100
Frisco, CO, 80443
~40 hours per week, at least 400 hours total
UW-Stevens Point Students Who Completed Internship