HPW Internship: Verso Corporation

Comments Off on HPW Internship: Verso Corporation

HPW Student Internship Experience – Jace Purdy Summer 18′

During my internship at Verso Corporation I had a wide range of duties. These included updating the health and wellness intranet site, creating a tennis elbow treatment protocol, writing newsletter articles, hosting lunch and learns, and planning and hosting blood donations and various employee activities. This range of duties allowed me to use the knowledge our program teaches to reach the 950+ employees I was responsible for giving health and wellness guidance to.

This picture was during my first lunch and learn, with the topic of eating healthy for busy adults. During this presentation I spoke on what the national nutrition recommendations are,  readily available healthy options, meal planning/prepping, eating out, and finished with everyone making a bag of heart healthy trail mix that they could take back to their work stations.

My favorite part of the internship was interacting with the team members of Verso. The leadership I worked with all were incredibly supportive and engaged in the health and wellness of their team. Those that came to my lunch and learn presentations were also very engaged, asking questions and hanging around after to ask for further detail or clarifications on the day’s topic. My dream job would be to continue in a health educator or employee wellness position, where I can have these conversations about health and wellness, helping others reach their goals, and positively impact the lives of those I work with.

Objectives

1. Behavior Change:
    1. Creating, implementing, and evaluating a stretching program for employees
    2. Evaluation of new hire ergonomic needs
  2. Promotion and Marketing:
    1. Creating a social media/newsletter to inform employees on health and wellness topics
    2. Updating wellness website
    3. Contacting local fitness centers for discounts and lunch and learns
  3. Organizational Experiences:
    1. Collaborate and learn from the wellness team during events
    2. Planning and coordinating the Cera Park Family Fun Day
    3. assisting with onboarding procedures
    4. Working and helping with annual  outage

Contact

Ingrid Burkhardt

HR Generalist

600 4th Ave North

Wisconsin Rapids, WI 54495

ingrid.burkhardt@versoco.com

7154221606

Hours
40 hours per week, 400 hours total

Stipend
None

UW-Stevens Point Students Who Completed Internship