Meet the 2024 Posny Scholar

Comments Off on Meet the 2024 Posny Scholar

Hello and welcome!

My name is Cortney Meunier, born and raised in Oconto Falls, north of Green Bay, Wis. Go Pack! I’ve grown up in a rural community where my grandmother, Stella Kennin, taught me the value of connectedness and service. I started my passion for movement during my time as a cheerleader at Oconto Falls High School, which later lead to an ACL and meniscus injury during my first year as a UW-Stevens Point cheerleader.

I found an energy for physical therapy when my physical therapist offered support to not only progress my physical abilities after surgery, but also demonstrated compassion for the mental health struggle, as I had beginning my first year of college unable to participate in the activities I wanted. (Shout out to Dennis Kaster who now is helping support students at our very own UWSP DPT program!)

During my time working toward a bachelor’s degree in health science at UWSP I gained experiences that allowed me to demonstrate empathy, compassion and work ethic for others within my community, including my efforts to run a kids clinic, coach youth cheerleading, coach special needs cheerleading, be a leader for Be the Match – On Campus, and work as a rehab technician. 

I am currently part of the 2024 graduating class for the UWSP Doctor of Physical Therapy program, where I have taken opportunities to advance our local Stevens Point community and the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) professional community by becoming a graduate assistant for the UWSP DPT Program as the 2024 Alexa Posny Scholar. I’m also involved as a DPT Student Organization vice president and founder, an APTA WI Student Special Interest Group secretary, an APTA WI Membership Committee member, an APTA WI State Government Affairs member, and present at CSM on Apple Health Data as a Tool for Motivation in Telehealth. Through these experiences I have had the pleasure of interacting with current physical therapists and advocates for the profession, hosting events, initiating formal documentation and scholarship written by students for students, creating a committee to foster direct and collaborative communication at PT and PTA campuses across the state of Wisconsin, educating my peers inside and outside of the classroom, and becoming a voice for the students of our profession. I am honored to represent UW-Stevens Point, and advocate on the behalf of students across Wisconsin at APTA in Washington, D.C. 

Outside of the physical therapy profession, hobbies of mine include working out, hiking, spending time with my dog and cats, hanging with friends, board and card games, reading, and occasionally binging the same sitcom TV shows I will one day consider as classics!

I look forward to continuing to educate my peers, patients and future students about the importance of advocacy inside and outside the clinic. Feel free to reach out at any point if you would like to start a conversation about physical therapy, movement or health care in general.

Let’s get started!

Cortney

Cortney Meunier is a graduate student in the Doctor of Physical Therapy program at the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point. Originally from Oconto Falls, Wis., Cortney serves as the 2024 Alexa Posny Scholar, interning with the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) at its headquarters in Washington, D.C.

Follow along on her blog and see additional photos on Facebook.