Welcome back, Pointers!!!

Comments Off on Welcome back, Pointers!!!

kelseymadisyn20150901Textbooks, note taking, essays, projects, exams, ANOTHER SCHOOL YEAR, are you ready for it?!!!  The start of a new school year–just like the start of anything new–finds me filled with mixed emotions, I imagine many of you reading this can agree. A bit of sadness, excitement and fear all fill my mind.

I am sad summer is over,
I am excited for my last college semester,
and I fear the unknown.

As I was thinking about this school year it brought me back to the 4th of July when my one-and-a-half-year-old niece was visiting me in Stevens Point. I took her for a walk around campus and she would walk a few steps and then stop to pick a piece of grass, walk a little more and then look at the flowers … say a few words, and walk some more looking around at everything around her. Watching my niece walk around campus, reminded me of how often during college I get so busy rushing to class and then work, reading chapters out of my textbook and cramming for an exam that I forget to pause and take time to enjoy the beauty around me. Not only do I not enjoy the beauty around me, but I also forget to pause and take time for me. While I wish everyone the best of luck and great academic success I also think it is so important that everyone makes time to relax and do things they enjoy during college, so here are my top 5 tips on how to be successful in college.

1. Take time each day to do something you enjoy. Use a planner to mark out your classes and record your homework in, but also schedule some “you time.” Maybe that means time to read a book, call a friend, go for a walk or go to the gym. Whatever it is … do it. Don’t get too consumed in your classes that you forget to relax and do things you also enjoy.
  2. Get involved on campus. Whether it be res hall activities, intramural sports, an organization that relates to your major, or an organization you have never heard of before; join it. Go to meetings, participate in activities and meet new people.
  3. Seek out your professors. Go to their office hours when you have questions or need help. Attend group tutoring or 1-on-1 tutoring when needed; that’s the reason tutoring is available, use it.
  4. Remember your family back home, don’t forget about them. Call them, e-mail them, send them a text, let them know how you are doing and that you are thinking of them. It’s okay to even miss them, I’m sure they miss you, too. Same with your friends back home, if they really matter to you, keep in touch with them. If their friendship is just weighing you down, then forget about them. College is a great time to make new friends.
  5. Go out of your comfort zone; talk to the stranger next to you in class, raise your hand and ask your professor a question during lecture or take a challenging class. Most importantly have fun and make memories.

College goes by fast; it feels like just yesterday I moved into Smith Hall for my freshman year of college and here I am today a senior in college. Enjoy every moment and best of luck fellow Pointers on this academic year!

~Kelsey

Kelsey Haelfrisch is senior majoring in family and consumer sciences – child, youth and family studies at UW-Stevens Point.