Monday with Marty

Comments Off on Monday with Marty
leoblog20170123a

by guest blogger Leo Knapp, a sophomore at Stevens Point Area Senior High

Today I shadowed Marty Loy for a program called Teen Leadership Portage County. Marty is the dean of the College of Professional Studies at UW-Stevens Point. I’m a sophomore at SPASH (Stevens Point Area Senior High) and had a great experience today.

First, I sat in on a staff meeting. The staff discussed what their main tasks were for the week, what they were doing well, and what needs to be done. This made me realize that planning is very important in the real world, and I should plan more in my life to accomplish more.

leoblog20170123c

I had my mind blown when I learned that there are colleges within colleges. Technically there are colleges within universities, and then schools within colleges. But nevertheless, I had no idea. I had always just thought they were just programs in a college.

leoblog20170123bI was then taken on a tour around campus. I learned a few interesting facts that span from fans in the pool to underground tunnels. The football office was probably the coolest room to me. Everything about it was super cool. The pictures in there looked so clean, and it was just a very welcoming place.

I also learned what everybody in the office does. I didn’t realize that so much went on behind the scenes for things like fundraising to take place. I learned that scholarships aren’t as hard to get as you think, so apply for every one that you can. It can’t hurt you, and I’d rather have the least amount of debt coming out of college as possible.

Checking out technology in the Innovation Space like the light board and the virtual reality headset were really cool. I also made a video on off sides in hockey with a green screen using two different methods. I also made a video on an offensive zone faceoff play on the light board. I rode a roller coaster with a VR (virtual reality) headset. Lastly, I drove a double robot around the halls.

I also ate lunch at the CPS Café. I thought it was pretty neat that you could see where your food came from. I had lunch with Marty and his daughter Emma, who I ended up knowing from P.J. Jacobs Junior High. We were both in student council.

In the end, today was an amazing day. I came out with a better idea on how to accomplish more. I also learned more about my community with the tour of the campus. I never knew things like during WWII, troops lived in the dorms and students lived in tents and in the homes of residents. Huge thanks to UWSP and Marty Loy for letting me shadow him and how college life is.