HPW Internship: Copperleaf Management Group
HPW Student Internship Experience – Annie Olson 15′
During my internship with Copperleaf Management Group, I led morning group stretches and activities for the residents in assisted living. I traveled between more than one home, each of which housed members with differing motor and cognitive abilities. In one home, residents were mobile, cognizant and able to participate in activities, whereas in another home, residents were unable to participate in physical activities or games that required thinking skills. Encountering various levels of dementia in residents challenged me to modify activities that would be beneficial to them in both homes. I also promoted simple health tips through the use of social media pages (Facebook, YouTube and Pinterest), e-newsletters and informative fliers to employees. My internship didn’t concentrate on employee health as much as I had hoped for, however, I spoke with my supervisor and we decided that the company could definitely benefit from wellness programs. Planning and implementing a solid wellness program at Copperleaf would require time beyond the three month period covered in my internship. Overall, I learned how to think on the fly, modify activities to suit all levels of cognition, take initiative with programs and keep people active while having fun!
- Assist in creating a new employee wellness program.
- Conduct programs emphasizing in the physical, emotional, social and occupational dimensions of wellness.
- Create and conduct an employee interest survey.
- Create and implement HRA’s.
- Work with activities director to develop social wellness events.
- Promotion and Marketing:
- Promote the importance of adequate nutrition, fitness and general well-being through informative fliers and a monthly newsletter.
- Market wellness programs, such as stress management, nutrition, fitness, and the importance of sleep, to employees and residents.
- Organizational Experiences:
- Work with supervisor to organize and track program participation.
- Attend staff meetings and present program ideas.
- Update and write monthly blog posts.
- Attend relevant training sessions.
Director of Human Resources
1077 Wilshire Blvd.
Stevens Point, WI 54481
25 hours per week
6.5 hours per day, 4 days per week
$8.00 per hour
UW-Stevens Point Students Who Completed Internship
- Annie Olson, Fall 2015 (pictured above)