HPW Internship: Glenwood Springs, CO – Parks and Recreation

Comments Off on HPW Internship: Glenwood Springs, CO – Parks and Recreation

HPW Student Internship Experience – Ty Hennessy Spring 17′

Interning at the Glenwood Springs Recreation Center has been an amazing experience. In addition to working in the recreation management department of the center, I also had a lot of freedom when it came to birthing new programs for the center. Both of these positions really let me grow as a professional because I have not had this type of experience before.
While working in the Recreation management sector I supervised upwards of 12 people. This responsibility helped me polish my leadership skills. During the duration of my internship I actually had the liberty of being a part of the hiring process as well as the firing process as well. Near the end I finally had the right team under me and they did amazing work. This opportunity also helped me learn a lot about scheduling and working around people’s obligations as well as conducting schedules for 5 different sports programs and 33 different fitness programs as well. It was very rewarding working hand in hand with these experienced professionals and it immediately let me apply what I learned in school to the real world. In the program design side of things I produced a women learn to golf program as well as a kids learn to golf program. Working collaboratively with the Glenwood Springs Golf Club I sealed up the location as well as instructors for the program. The only overhead cost of the program will be the location itself the programs have been projected to actually be profitable for the Rec center which is a rarity in a program’s first year operating the programming doesn’t stop there I have also conducted a monthly wellness letter that we not only send to everyone at the community center but everyone that works for the city of Glenwood Springs.
This experience has taught me so much about leading, staying accountable, and using the skills and knowledge I have taken away from my major. In a city where health is not really an issue, my main goal was to try and introduce the youth to lifelong activities to supplement their already active lifestyles and so far it is a success.

Objectives

1. Behavior:
    1. Implement Stress Management programs for the members of the adult community. The program will cover exercise classes, importance of mental health, tips for relieving stress at work, relieving stress at home, introduction to meditation and visualization and stress relief through
    2. Conduct healthy living workshop for adults/children that includes stress management, nutrition, and
    3. Teach at least 2 different group fitness classes for 4-6
    4. Assist in Worksite wellness and put together at least 2 wellness programs for
    5. Lead two nutrition programs for children and two workshops for adults. Program and workshop will include nutrition basics, healthy snack ideas, and healthy quick
    6. Instructing Dinky Dunkers-youth recreational basketball program and youth hockey practices that focuses on fundamental basketball/hockey skills, education of basketball/hockey rules, sportsmanship, teamwork, and having fun.
  2. Promotion and Marketing:
    1. Market wellness programs for the
    2. Gain experience in creating incentives for Glenwood Springs Parks and Rec worksite wellness as well as community
    3. Coordinating and implementing events for the center and
  3. Organizational Experiences:
    1. Attend weekly staff
    2. Organize/assist in programming of events for the community
    3. Observe budgeting
    4. Attend athletic department meetings, parent meetings, and staff meetings with supervisor
    5. Learn about facility
    6. Organize and collect

On-site Supervisor
James Main
Athletics, Fitness, and Wellness Coordinator
Glenwood Springs Parks
100 Wulfsohn Rd.
Glenwood Springs, CO 81601
James.main@cogs.us
(970)384-6311

Hours
30 hours per week, 400 hours total

Stipend
$13/hour

UW-Stevens Point Students Who Completed Internship

• Ty Hennessy, Spring 2017
  • Lauren Plaza, Spring 2016