HPW Internship: UW Health
Overall Goal of internship
At completion of this internship, the intern will gain an excellent understanding and knowledge of how UW Health provides a variety of health and wellness programs to employees/community-sponsored events. The intern will gain experience in behavior change facilitation including Health Risk Assessment, intervention, and reassessment, and will create promotional and marketing projects to increase participation or sales. The organizational experiences will allow for some supervision of an event, small budget experiences, in-service training, and shadowing of the internship supervisor. The intern will work with and be supervised by the UW Health on-site internship supervisor, Scott Neuenfeld. The intern will complete experiences as outlined by the following specific objectives and be evaluated on his/her performance in each of these areas.
The student will complete 3-4 resume-building experiences from the categories below. Specific projects and outcomes may be added as addendum to this plan within the first 2 weeks of being on-site. Significant changes to the Objectives will be mutually agreed upon by the Internship site supervisor, the student intern, and the UWSP internship supervisor and documentation of these changes will be sent to the UWSP internship supervisor.
- Be interactive with users, Get to know their exercise history, backgrounds. Be able to teach them about exercise equipment, and to expand on exercise knowledge.
- Shadow and work alongside various staff to learn about their positions and about their experiences. Opportunities to see varied teaching methods.
- Understand use of agility ladders, weight lifting programs, and aerobic training methods.
- Develop exercise plans for members to increase and sustain adherence.
- Opportunity for mentor-ship within class teaching program. There are many styles of classes ranging from indoor cycling, to group fitness, to yoga, to Tai Chi to deep water interval training that you may have an interest in and trying. Mentor-ship will be from the instructor of chosen classes.
- Promotion and Marketing:
- Develop either an incentive based project or informative project for UW Health users.
- May have opportunity to interact with Employee Wellness and their programs.
- Participate in the Indoor Ironman project roll-out to all UWHC employees.
- Organizational Experiences:
- Learn to perform initial fitness assessments with new members. This includes health history, exercise history, goal setting, exercise testing and prescription.
- Opportunity for observation time in other hospital clinics and programs. This may include Preventive Cardiology, Pulmonary Rehab, Biomechanics Lab, and Pediatric Fitness clinics.
- Attend fitness center monthly staff meetings.
- Potential to attend professional outings – Sports Medicine Symposium and Wisconsin High School Football Coaches Clinic are examples.
Fitness Center Coordinator
621 Science Drive
Madison, WI 53711
40 hours per week, at least 400 hours total; (no weekends)
UW-Stevens Point Students Who Completed Internship
- Jeromy Hardtke, Fall 2015 (pictured above)
- Matt Sallinen, Fall 2013
- Jessica O’Connor, Spring 2014
- Katelyn Ballweg, Summer 2014
- Bridget Hesselberg, Spring 2018
- Bethany Kohl, Summer 2010
- Heather Mantzke, Summer 2011