HPW Student Internship Experience – Kirsten Perkinson Fall 17′
What I did:
My internship is with Unity Point Health Methodist | Proctor in Peoria Illinois. To start my internship off I spent four weeks in cardiopulmonary rehab. Within the rehab facility they run a LiveWell program where individuals that have graduated from phase II can continue to workout in a safe facility that offers more than a regular gym. We take their blood pressure, oxygen level, and pulse before and after their workout. I also helped leading some exercises, and setting up machines. I would also help with Phase II classes by taking blood pressures before, during, and after their workout. I would also lead a lightweight warm up. While the patients work though their workout we would also ask about their breathing and RPE levels. Lastly, I would observe orientations for individuals starting the program, and took their starting measurements of weight, blood pressure, waist circumference, oxygen level, heart rate, and their six-minute walk test.
What I am doing:
I am currently working on a program through Unity Point called the Wellmobile. This is a mobile health center, which focuses on community wellness. We go out to local towns and events to do screenings. The screenings I have been conducting include cholesterol, glucose, spirometry, and blood pressure. I have gotten the opportunity to observe fitness classes as well as personal training, and will be working my way into teaching some classes. I am currently working on the bulletin board for the month of November, and I will be working on program planning for the year of 2018. I will be assisting in writing articles, creating activities, and videos that will be available to employees. I also have time assisting people at the front desk taking phone calls, collecting biometric sheets from employees, and assisting in weigh in for a program currently being run.
- Gain experience in more than one area of wellness. Learn and grow in skills through engagement in employee, corporate, and community wellness.
- To be utilized as a helpful “employee” to the wellness group of Unity Point Health Methodist | Proctor.
- Be given responsibilities that would be true to a real wellness job.
- Gain professional experiences that will further my career and feedback to my skills and efforts once a week.
- Promotion and Marketing:
- Help promote the programs during the fall of 2017 and help schedule for 2018 within Unity Point Health Methodist | Proctor.
- Help market programs, and healthy information around Unity Point Health Methodist | Proctor.
- Help market upcoming events online, on bulletin boards, or through a daily email.
- Research the viability of programs. Make sure they are compatible with target community.
- Organizational Experiences:
- Gain more experience with personal training, and group fitness.
- Sit in on conference calls and meetings for the wellness department, and how Unity Point runs their facilities.
- Run or assist with health screenings within the community or at Unity Point Health Methodist | Procto
Unity Point Health Methodist | Proctor (Peoria, Illinois)
At least 400 hours total
UW-Stevens Point Students Who Completed Internship
- Kristen Perkinson, Fall 2017 (pictured above)