HPW Internship: Train 4 Your Best
Overall Goal of internship
Interning at Train 4 Your Best is a unique coaching experience you won’t get anywhere else. Train 4 Your Best is a sports performance, and wellness solutions business that uses Applied Functional Science strategies in its approach to helping their clients move to the best of their ability. You will use principles, techniques, and exercises that have been proven to work by science. Train 4 Your Best is not a typical sports performance company where they train the athletes to lift the most weight and believe that will translate to making them better athletes. Train 4 Your Best takes the functional movements athletes and everyday clients use for their sports or their daily activities and build exercise programs incorporating those specific movements. This is all about making athletes and clients the best movers as possible, not getting them to lift the most weight as possible. You will learn to incorporate exercises from all three planes of motions (Sagittal, Frontal, and Transverse) to help clients improve their mobility and stability.
At Train 4 Your Best you are not considered an “intern” you are viewed as a coach and you are given the opportunity to be a coach. I have learned how to take clients through a 3D movement screen to analyze what movements they are deficient in and put together a workout based off those deficiencies. I have also been given the opportunity to coach athletes through their workouts in all settings. I have coached athletes one on one, small groups, and all the way up to leading a workout of roughly 180 athletes at one time.
Every day we have a learning opportunity where we ask any question we have about any topic. It is a discussion based solely on learning and it has been a great way for me to get a better understanding of some of the methods and concepts we implement into our programs. The most important thing train for your best has provided me with has been to learn to get comfortable with being vulnerable. To succeed in a profession like this you must be vulnerable. Putting yourself in vulnerable situations is the best way for you to learn and improve yourself. Every day we talk about being vulnerable and that is one of the most important things you will experience at Train 4 Your Best.
- Involvement with injury prevention (physically) with athletes and non athletes.
- Understand and learn how to use the evaluation technology.
- Construct a program for injury prevention, strength training, and sport specific.
- Observe movement evaluations and help create plans for the client.
- Promotion and Marketing:
- Promote the business using social media, designing handouts for camps that are offered, and updating the business website with any new information.
- Organizational Experiences:
- Attend some business meetings that take place (understand contracts from school)
- Involvement with people related to physical therapy, occupational therapy, or athletic training that comes in I would like to be there to see it. (any other professional that’s there)
- Experience with Brakebush and figuring out what programming is put into the company to reduce risks of diseases.
- Involvement with the grade schools.
Owner/ Performance Coach
6400 Alderson St. Weston WI 54476
715-359-4221 ext. 12356
40 hours week/10 weeks
UW-Stevens Point Students Who Completed Internship
- Kyle Dalske, Summer 2018
- Devin Peterson, Summer 2018
- Bailie Sheahan, Summer 2017
- Katie Uhlenbrauck, Spring 2018